Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bullerfest 09

This weekend has been the annual Bullerfest kayak festival in Murchison, where 100+ crazy drunken kayakers have invaded.
After a 14 hour drive me and Phil Mac made it to Murch and got some sleep for the boatercross on Friday. The boatercross on the Matakataki (or something like that) is a really sweet race where 4 people race down a short stretch of class 2 rapids. While it may be some easy water there is always a bit of carnage in the battles that go on during the racing.
In my first heat I had a battle with Bernard who kept me honest the whole way to the finish, but I managed to take it out which means I get a easier next heat.
2nd heat, the course gets shorter and a compulsery slalom gate gets put up. I had a really good start in my 2nd heat and by the time I was at the crux rapid I had a comfortable lead and cruised the rest of the race almost missing the banner!
Back up to the top of the river the competition started getting harder as half of the slower paddlers of the day had been knocked out. My heat was up and found myself paired against someone we all called Lamborghini, and damn he was quick!
I had a terrible start and Lamborghini pushed me up onto a rock and suddenly I was last.
I sprinted to catch up through the crux moves and managed to spin the guy in front of me. I had to get 2nd to advance to the quater finals so I sprinted my way down the final 50 meters of the course and slammed the other guy, passed him, and got to the banner just behind Lamborghini! Stoked!
Quater finals I was up agains Sam Sutton, Jamie Garrod, and someone I think was called Pete.
Another less than excellent start saw me in 3rd place behind Jamie and Sam, with Pete doing everything he could to spin me. I managed to get him off my tail then sprinted to catch Jamie, and was gaining until just before the finish I took a bad line over some slow water and it was all over.
Finals was Sam, Tyler, Brad, and Johann with Brad taking the win and Tyler in second.
Then we went and paddled the Glenroy which is a short but fun grade 3 run.

Later that night, a big one at the pub. Murch goes off!

No comments: